5.16.2012

today I love...

...Style Girlfriend's list of reasons to 'kick-start' your style.  Style Girlfriend Megan blogs about men's style from a female perspective, and I want to be her when I grow up. 

I'm oddly fascinated by men's sartorial blogs, and have quite a few of them on my radar.  I can't really explain it, but I just really enjoy reading about classic clothing and style for men.  Perhaps because it has so much more subtlety than women's fashion --- fundamentally, the overall shape and style of male clothing (at least what most would today call 'dressed up') --- really hasn't changed much in many decades.  A well-fitting suit now is the same essential shape as a well-fitting suit in the fifties, and there are only so many ways to express oneself with a pocket square.  Contrast that to the insane variety of female fashion as the designers scramble to come out with new, more attention-getting, more flamboyant, different ideas.

Perhaps the lack of change is what I find comforting.

Also, well-dressed men are both delightful and rare in this particular time and place.  As much as it would be nice in some respects if people weren't judged on their outward appearance and sartorial decisions, that's not the case.  People will get their first impression of you from how you look.  Not to mention that clothing is a fantastic way to express yourself and decide consciously how you want to present yourself to the world.  Instead of leaving it up to random chance (which jeans did I pull out of the drawer today?), taking control of your image is a beautiful thing.

Perhaps I'm vain.  But it's fun, and I enjoy encouraging the males around me to step up to the place and kick it up a notch.

I particularly like reasons #9 and #15.  If only more lads figured this out earlier...

No comments:

Post a Comment